Thursday, April 18, 2013

Easy Tomato Soup

I have a cold. It's one of those lay-on-the-couch, can't-breathe-through-my-nose types of things. I desperately wanted a bowl of soup for dinner last night, but I'd already served chicken noodle soup earlier in the week and I didn't think I could get away with making it twice. So, I decided to come up with a tomato soup recipe to try. This once is my own creation based off of several that I looked at online. It was very, very delicious. Spencer said it was the best soup I'd ever made! (Not that that's saying much, but still!).

Easy Tomato Soup

Ingredients:
2 Cans Italian Style Diced Tomatoes 
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Tbsp Butter
1/2 Medium yellow onion chopped finely
 1 Tsp Minced Garlic (1 to 2 cloves)
 1/4 Cup Flour
4 Cups Chicken Stock
3/4 Cups Fat Free Half-and-Half (You could also use cream. We're just watching the calories at our house.)
1 Cup Small Pasta (Optional)

Directions
1. Put tomatoes with their juices in a blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
2. Heat olive oil and butter over medium-low heat in a stock pot. Add the onions and cook until they are soft and translucent. Once the onions are soft, add the garlic and cook for another 10 seconds. Stir in the flour to form a roux. Allow the roux to cook for about 1 minute and then gradually incorporate the chicken stock. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring the soup up to a low boil, stirring frequently. Once the soup begins to thicken, add the pureed tomatoes. Bring to a low boil. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for at least fifteen minutes.
3. Cook pasta according to directions on package and strain (if using).
4. Once the soup has simmered for at least 15 minutes, stir in the half-and-half and the pasta. Simmer for another five to ten minutes.
5. Serve with shredded cheese and fresh basil.


No comments:

Post a Comment