Monday, May 13, 2013

More Yummy Recipes

A few weeks ago, we made three things out of the America's Test Kitchen Comfort Food Makeover Book.  They all were delicious and had tons of flavor.

The first meal we made was the General Tso's Chicken on page 116.  The thing that makes this recipe great is that you cover the chicken pieces with Corn Flakes and bake them.  I tasted one before I put the sauce on and I think that they would be awesome with some gravy and mashed potatoes.  Alex tasted one and liked them a lot.  The sauce was good, it had lots of flavor and wasn't too spicy.  It did have a bit too much garlic in it though.  It says to use 4 cloves and I used 4 big cloves.  I think next time I will use two big ones or 4 small ones.







The second meal we made was Chicken Chilaquiles on page 93.  I don't have any pictures of it because it didn't look nice and I realized later I didn't use the right kind of cheese.  So I made this on Friday afternoon up until the part where you put it in the oven and bake it.  We wanted a dinner to come home to on Sunday that all we had to do was throw it in the oven.  When we got home we put it in the oven and I put cheddar cheese on it instead of the queso fresco.  I also forgot to do the sour cream and lime mixture over it.  It was very tasty even though I messed up a few things.


The last recipe is Broccoli and Sausage Calzones on page 56.  Oh man are these good!!!  The only thing I substituted was pepper jack cheese for the mozzarella, because we have so much of it.  They taste so rich, you wouldn't think they are healthy.  It makes 2 good sized calzones and Ty and I shared one and were plenty full.  There is tons of flavor with the sausage and the cheeses all mixed together.

1 comment:

  1. How was the heat level on the General Tso chicken?

    The calzones look SO good. I'm definitely going to have to try that one.

    ReplyDelete